Leonie Bulman's recent articles
Posters on Facebook focus more on Volkswagen's products than YouTube users when engaging with "The Force" commercial
Volkswagen show how posting the same content on different social media sites can lead consumers to respond in different ways. Whilst Facebook users say they find the advert "awesome", VW were also successful in driving consumers to devote some of their discussion to VW’s “lovely” Passat car and brand. YouTube users, however, focus mainly on the details of the “funny” advert.
Volkswagen recently uploaded its advert for the Super Bowl, featuring its new Passat model, to both its Facebook fan page and YouTube. While the commercial’s YouTube page functions solely as a showcase for the advert, VW’s Facebook page features regular updates around products and news about the brand. Featuring a child dressed as Darth Vader’s attempts to manipulate objects with the ‘Force’, the video has gone viral, with over 22 million views on YouTube and 1,800 likes on Facebook.
WaveMetrix social media monitoring shows that VW’s video elicits different responses from consumers depending on where they viewed the advert. Whilst both Facebook and YouTube users focus heavily on the “funny” and “brilliant” creative, YouTube users critique the commercial in greater depth, whilst Facebook users are driven to focus more of their discussion on the “nice” Passat car and the “great” VW brand.
YouTube users focus heavily on ‘The Force’ creative, with few discussing the product or VW brand:
- YouTube users devote the majority of their discussion to the creative itself and critique the details of the video: Consumers say they “love” the “funny” commercial and say the video was the “best” of the Super Bowl. Consumers also focus on the characters and Star Wars link in the advert, saying the “little” Darth Vader is a “cutie” and praise his “great” acting ability
- Only a handful of consumers discuss the new Passat car and the VW brand: Consumers say they “want” a Passat because it features an engine that is “normally” in “expensive cars”, meaning they will “consider” the VW brand
Facebook fans focus more of their discussion on VW’s products and brand:
- Facebook users devote most of their discussion to the advert: Consumers on Facebook say they “love” the “great” commercial, which some consider the “best ever” as it is “really funny”
- Facebook fans focus more of their discussion on the Passat car than YouTube users: Following the product and brand focus of VW’s Facebook page, the video drives consumers say they “love” the new Passat and they “can’t wait” to get one. However, others are more critical, saying they find the car “ugly” due to its “boring” design
- Facebook users discuss the VW brand more than YouTube users: Consumers offer their “thanks” to VW for the “amazing” advert, which gives them “another reason” to “love” the brand. Others also say they have “always loved” the brand due to its “creativity”