Thomas Hannah's recent articles
FXUK’s Walking Dead ‘Kill Count’ app is second screen marketing at its best, driving positive brand image and show buzz
FXUK show how well-tailored, interactive second screen apps can encourage fans to participate and discuss the shows they watch, while also building a strong brand image as consumers associate the network and the app with their positive attitudes towards the show itself.
To promote the second season of AMC’s hit show The Walking Dead in the UK, FX have released an app that can be used as a second screen when watching new episodes of the show. The Walking Dead ‘Walkers Kill Count app,’ available for iPhone and iPad, allows users to predict how many zombie kills will occur in each episode, which character will be the most successful, and what weapon will be used to (re)kill the undead.
WaveMetrix social media monitoring shows that the app is extremely well-received amongst those who post reviews of it on iTunes. Reviewers frequently mention watching the show while using the app and say it goes together with The Walking Dead “like bread and butter.” Reviews of the app also build good brand equity for FXUK, with consumer comments suggesting the network is seen as cutting edge and exciting, due to the app.
Reviews of the Kill Count app are positive across a variety of topics:
- Overall, consumers consider the app a “fantastic” “fun” experience: Those who have downloaded it say they are “eager” to try it on “the next episode” and think the whole idea is an “amazing concept” and a “great use of tech.” They praise the app for having “lots to do” and say it is “added entertainment in itself”
- The app does drive some usability complaints: These are to be expected on review pages, which are often used to bring up bugs and errors with software. Those who complain say the app “won’t sync”, has problems “working on older devices” or “keeps crashing”, though others counter that it has “worked for them”
- The app’s suitedness to the show and its design are both highly praised: iTunes reviews of the app say it is “awesome, the best app to go with the show” and that they “love watching zombie kills” on it and “thinking up creative ways zombies could be taken out.” Others praise the app for being “visually amazing” or for its “superb interface”
Reviews of the app show strong alignment with brand values for The Walking Dead:
- More than 60% of the iTunes buzz is aligned with brand values appropriate to The Walking Dead: Most frequently, consumers associate the app with a ‘cutting-edge’ image, as they think it’s a “great concept”, something they “don’t think they’ve seen anywhwere else” and that is “supported by great tech.” They say “thank you FX!” suggesting they consider the network cutting edge due to its app
- Others mention how the app adds to the “excitement” of watching the show: A quarter of review buzz mentions how “fun” or “exciting” the app is to use alongside the show. Almost two thirds of those reviewing the app also discuss the show itself, many saying it’s “good fun to use while watching this great program”
- Some praise the app because it is "awesome and gruesome", fitting the tone of the show perfectly: They say it has them “hoping for more kills” in future episodes and is “worthy” of the “best show around.”